Friday, November 06, 2009

Rep. Conyers Applauds Weiner for Heroic Effort to Further the Cause of Medicare for All


 

 

 

 

Nov. 06, 2009
For Immediate Release

Washington, DC – Today, U.S. Congressman John Conyers, Jr.  (D – MI)
released the following statement applauding the work of Representative Anthony Weiner (D- NY) to promote the cause of single-payer national health care:

“I want to thank my friend and fellow Judiciary Committee colleague,
Anthony Weiner, for his courageous efforts on behalf of the single
payer movement to attempt to secure a true up-or-down vote on a
single-payer substitute amendment to the health care reform bill.  It
is unfortunate that the vote ultimately offered to Rep. Weiner and
other single-payer supporters would have required a two-thirds
majority for passage in the House of Representatives.  The American
people deserve a true debate on the floor of the House on the benefits of single-payer health care.  I decided to withdraw my support for a vote that did not give the amendment a fair chance to succeed.

“Although single-payer legislation will not come up for a vote, I want
to personally express my strong appreciation to Rep. Weiner for his
effort to advance the cause of Medicare-for-All in this debate.
Working collaboratively with my office, Rep. Weiner and his staff made a valiant effort to accurately reflect the legislative intent of H.R. 676.

“As we move forward with this historic vote on health care reform, I
look forward to working with Rep. Weiner and my fellow Members of
Congress to pass a bill that improves meaningful access to health care
for the American people.  And, whatever the outcome of the current
effort, I am heartened to know that the cause of single-payer health
care reform has found a true hero and passionate advocate in
Representative Anthony Weiner.  With his leadership and our continued efforts, I am certain we will have Medicare-For-All single-payer health care in our lifetime.”

--
Mike Darner
Office of Rep. John Conyers, Jr.
mdarner@gmail.com
michael.darner@mail.house.gov

U.S. Congressman John Conyers, Jr. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment